Tuesday, May 8, 2012

110 Days: Getting Back in Form

I love my bike. Is that weird for me to say? To those of you who spend as much time on the bike as I do, I would hope your love for your bike is the same. There is just something about the wind and the road and the alone time. During my afternoon workout on my bike I fully realized just how much I enjoy riding my bike. I even gave Jamis a solid cleaning afterwards.

I am also beginning to realize the effect of finishing an Ironman would have on my life. To me, an Ironman is one of the top physical accomplishments any one person can achieve. Even with all the other participants, it comes down to you and the clock. 17 hours is what you get and hopefully is 5 hours more than I need. Finishing would show myself that I can go out and accomplish anything I set my mind to. There were people who said I was crazy for doing a few half-marathons, and I was crazy to do a few half-Ironmans but now others are starting to believe in me. They have seen what commitment I am willing to put into this goal and can see that it means a lot to me.

Author Howard Thurman once said "Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

My passions have changed throughout my life but this is one that required money, organization and discipline. One that challenges the participant to give it their all, no matter if the weather is hot and muggy or cold and rainy. It's very hard to explain unless you've gone through a race doubting whether you can finish. Trust me, many of those moments come about in a half-Ironman and I guarantee they will in Louisville in August.

You have to persevere. You have to dig deep. You have to finish.

You can't fake passion.


Happy training!

Drew


1 comment:

  1. Drew - I love your dedication and drive! You'll be crossing that Ironman finish line in fine form in no time!!

    ReplyDelete