Sunday, April 17, 2011

Go Faster

As some of you may know, I spent the last 6 months preparing for my first Half-Ironman. I had never completed a triathlon, and had manged to cross the finish line of a few half marathons since October. I am not sure what propelled into the sport, but I knew an Ironman (or half of one) would push me physically and mentally in ways that nothing else ever had.

It took some use getting used to working out at 5 a.m. but I grew accustomed to it. It was perfect time to get a run or swim in, with few people around and no traffic. The training began to transform my body. In March, I had officially lost 45 pounds since January of 2010. I hadn't seen 205 pounds since my senior year of high school.

Well to make a long story short, I trained for a few thousand hours, spent a few thousand dollars on equipment, and finished my first Half-Ironman in Galveston, Texas on April 10th, 2011. My time was 6 hours and 10 minutes. The feeling experienced when I ran across the finish line was unlike any felt before. I knew at that point that this is what I wanted to do. Triathlons had found a place in my heart and I wanted to see how far I could go.

This blog is intended for you to follow me along on my next journey and to hold myself accountable. I know that even if no one reads this blog, I will still be putting my thoughts into words and that will be very beneficial.

And in case you are wondering, my goal for my next Half-Ironman is to finish below 5 hours, and lose another 20 pounds.

It starts again today.

No comments:

Post a Comment