Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hola!

 Today was the first day that I have managed to get up before 7 when I had wanted to. I would like some applause for this accomplishment. It is hard to do when it seems no one goes to bed before midnight. I guess that is what you get when people can take a siesta in the afternoon; one does not need as much sleep each night.

It rained throughout the night. I woke up occasionally with the clapping thunder but it is not near as bad as the thunder that comes with the storms back home. Think golf clap. I was going to wake up and ride my bike since I have yet to do that. I spend 590 euros on a piece of equipment and have yet to take it out. Rest assured, that bike will have the miles (or kilometers) put on it by the end of the summer.

Fontant Metro Stop
Yesterday's class was quite difficult. I woke up late, didn't have time for any coffee and did not manage to eat anything before class. I spent most of the four hours in a haze, wondering what was going around me. Fortunately, I had lunch planned with Andres after class at 2. I arrived at the meeting spot, Fontana Metro Station, and receive a text from him saying he was on the Metro but would be 10 mins late. I should know by now that the Spanish are never on time. We went to an Italian shop in Gracia that serves a cross between a pita and a quesadilla. I can't remember what the name is called but the melts are delicious. Mine had ham, tomato, mozzarella and spinach. Following that, we went and have a drink in the nearest plaza and enjoyed the sounds of a drunken/high fool who was sitting on the steps on the church. He was rambling on about not having any clothes on and something about how he shouldn't be with his wife. I'm not sure if I should laugh about his situation or be sorry for the guy for embarrassing himself. By the look of it though, he was not in any state of mind to care. After I walked with Andres to the post office, we parted ways and I was back on my own for the evening.

Too many plazas to remember all the names!

Mr. Crazy 
Today's class was much better than yesterday's. Having ran prior, I was feeling much better. Maria drilled a couple grammar rules into our heads so i'm hoping they stick. Hahaha! Following class with Carmelo, we all went to lunch a few blocks away. It was fun to see everyone outside of the classroom and learn a little more about their homes and lives.

I have some bad news to report though. The family's poker addiction has made its way to another Robinson. Cole got me started playing in some of my free time and I am really enjoying it. Hopefully I can keep winning a little each day until I can increase my limits!

Carmelo!
Older section of Gracia
Now that you're all updated on my life, I figured i'd share a little about where and who I live with. I am living the part of Barcelona called Gracia; Carrer de Saragossa to be exact. I live with 4 other twenty-something. Icar, who is incharge, is currently studying database management and website creation. He is a fairly laid back guy as long as you don't make a mess everywhere. Icar is from Spain and speaks three languages, including English. Maji is also a student although I am not sure what he studying. However, he is the lead singer in a punk band and is routinely heard singing throughout the flat. He is also an amazing cook, speaks a little English and is also from Spain. David is the one roommate that I hardly talk to. From our interactions, I do not believe he speaks any English but his Spanish is incredibly fast. Finally, Catriona is from England and teaches English here in Gracia. She is pretty nice to talk to and has helped me find different options for grocery stores and what not. Overall, It is not a bad place to be. It's in a good location and is relatively cheap. The only problem is my room is a little small. There is plenty of storage, but the bed in only a single. Cat is leaving in 2 weeks though so I am looking to move into her room!
View to the north from the terrace.

View to the south

It's not much

Bed, bike, more shelves


Well there you have it. Let me know if there is anything you want me to talk about!

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment