Monday, April 23, 2012

125 Days: Paleo Diet

I decided that my diet needed a change, possibly temporary, but a change to push through my current weight plateau. I decided to give the Paleo diet a try. For those who are unsure of what this diet consists of, think back to era of early humans. This was when processed food did not exist and yet the species thrived. The diet is all about eating foods that haven't been processed such as grain products (bread, cereal, etc.), dairy (milk, cheese, ice cream), salty foods and sweets. In addition, if you are trying to lose weight like I am, it is best to avoid starchy vegetables like potatoes.

I really can't speak for the benefits of this diet yet because I have only been on it for a day and a half but I did notice no drowsy period in my day. The diet allows for your blood sugar to maintain a constant level, avoiding the peaks that processing carbs causes. I still plan on drinking one cup of coffee a day but more than that just is not necessary.

I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. If you are interested in a food list for the Paleo diet, check out this link:
http://desertcrossfit.typepad.com/Paleo_Food_List.pdf

There is also a number of videos on YouTube that talk about the benefits of the diet. Hopefully it works for me!

Today's Workouts

  • Run
    • 15-20 min run
    • High knees, butt kicks, skips, karaoke, strides (x5-10)
  • Results
    • 20 min run, followed by assigned drills, 6 strides
  • Reflections
    • The morning Run session went very well. I wasn't expecting to be fully into the workout but once I started moving things fell into place. My hips opened up early on the run, allowing me to push the pace early
  • Swim
    • 400 yd swim, 8x50 swim (:15s rest intervals)
    • 1000 time trial
    • 200 swim
  • Results
    • 300 swim, 8x50 at :40 sec pace
    • 500 swim
    • 200 swim
  • Reflections
    • Unfortunately the time trial did not go well. I simply could not get a rhythm going and was really straining to maintain form. I decided to cut the trial in half in order to save my shoulders and sanity. It's unfortunate but it happens. Hopefully the next swim will go better!
That is all I have today. Off to bed so that I can get my Bike session done in the morning!

Happy training!

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment