Sunday, April 15, 2012

133 Days: Sleep

Today was an interesting day...

I went into work at 2 a.m. to do some inspections on some equipment. I spent about 2 and a half hours there and got back into bed at 5 a.m. Let's just say that middle of the night interruption was more than enough to drain my workout.

I've always heard that getting 7-8 hours of sleep is essential but until you compare 6 hours to 8 hours, you just don't understand the difference it makes. When I get 8+ hours of sleep I feel that I could run all day. My energy level is simply through the roof. Your body doesn't crave food either because it was able to repair and re-energize itself through the night.

For the longest time I was more than satisfied with 6 hours of sleep a night. Now I almost force myself to bed by 9. Granted tonight I am up a little later but I had a fair amount on my to-do list to get done.

If you find yourself not losing weight as quickly as you think you should or your workouts just aren't effective, look into your sleep schedule. I'd be willing to bet that making sleep a higher priority could help you push through your barriers.

Today's Workout

  • Run
    • 50 mins, hills, high cadence
  • Results
    • 34 mins, 5 solid hills, cadence in the 80 strides/min, 8:30 min/mile pace, run cut short due to   severe weather
  • Reflection
    • I was pretty tired for today's run but I made sure to get it in. It took a little planning with the breaks in the storms but I managed a decent 34 minutes. However, my pace was slower than I would have liked and that is quite disappointing. The knee felt solid and gave me no trouble and that was about the best thing of the workout. I wish I could have finished those last 16 minutes but it wasn't meant to be. 
It's time to take my own advice and head to bed. The workouts this week climb a little more in length and intensity. See you tomorrow.

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment